All students at Whale Branch Middle School will be required to wear a school approved uniform. Students are expected to be dressed according to uniform standards at all times when school is in session. The Beaufort County School District dress code establishes standards for student attire during the school day.
Tops - Black, Royal Blue, White:
- Long or short sleeve plain collared polo style shirts with 2, 3 or 4 buttons. No stripes, lace ruffles on collar or sleeves.
- They may have the Whale Branch Middle School logo or a non-school logo no larger than the size of a quarter (coin).
- Long or short sleeved under shirts in solid white, black, gray, or royal blue may be worn under the polo shirt. Solid white, black, gray, or royal blue mock turtlenecks may also be worn under the polo.
- Shirts may not exceed one size larger or smaller than necessary (to be determined by school administration).
- Solid black, solid gray, solid royal blue, and solid white sweaters or sweatshirts (with or without hoods) may be worn over the school uniform. Whale Branch Middle School logos are permitted. No other sweatshirts or sweaters allowed.
- Collared uniform shirts must be worn underneath sweaters and sweatshirts.
- Sweaters and sweatshirts cannot be shorter than the natural waistline or longer than the hipline and must be worn right side out.
- Gray, black, white, or royal blue oxford shirts (collared button down shirts) may be worn. Only the top button can be unbuttoned.
- Spirit T-shirts can be worn only on designated days determined by school administration.
Bottoms - Khaki, Black, Navy Blue:
- Bottoms may be shorts, pants, skirts, shorts, capris or jumpers. They should be no shorter than 3 inches above the top of the knees when standing. Must be hemmed and worn between the natural waist and hipline.
- Bottoms must be plain with no graphics, patterns, embroidery, or ruffles.
- Bottoms may not exceed one size larger or smaller than necessary (to be determined by school administration).
- No jeans, sweats, spandex or stretch material (including athletic/yoga pants and jeggings).
- No rolled up pants and no tightening of pants around the ankles or knees permitted.
- Knit bottoms, sweat pants, overalls or jogging pants are not permitted.
- No more than 4 pockets with 2 in the front and 2 in the back. No cargo pockets or cell phone pockets.
- Leggings and tights must be solid or opaque school colors and can only be worn under an appropriate uniform bottom.
- Skirts, skorts and shorts still must be appropriate length even when wearing leggings or tights
- Coats, jackets, and other outerwear may be worn to and from school, but will not be permitted to be worn inside the school building. Students must remove outerwear when entering the building. Outerwear includes coats, jackets, vests, and ponchos/shawls. Fleece of any kind not allowed to be worn after entering the school building.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times. Shoes must be properly laced. Heels must be less than 2” in height.
- No open toed shoes permitted. All shoes must be closed toed.
- No crocs, slippers or flip flops.
- Jewelry and accessories (scarves, bows, etc.) must be of a size and style as to not distract from the educational environment. Large pendant, necklaces, spikes, chains, and other potentially dangerous items are not allowed.
- Gang related or other potentially intimidating clothing, accessories, or symbols will not be permitted.
- Head coverings of any kind will not be worn, carried or displayed. This includes, but is not limited to: hats, caps, gloves, bandanas, curlers, masks, visors, kerchiefs, athletic sweatbands, earmuffs, sunglasses and hoods.
- Personal adornments including hair color and styles or piercings must not be so extreme as to distract from the educational environment (principal discretion).
- No over-sized belts or belt buckles, belts must be worn if bottoms have belt loops.
School administration will make the final decision on the appropriateness of items. School administration may also make exceptions to the uniform standards for special occasions such as athletic events, field trips or special dress days. All students are required to conform to the uniform standards. Documented religious or medical exceptions will be taken into account. This policy may be amended at the discretion of the administration.